Do you love slow cooker recipes? Who doesn’t like to come home to the smell of a delicious home cooked meal? That’s hard to do if you live alone or are out all day. Fortunately, slow cookers (or crock pots) make it easy to have delicious home cooked meals even when you can’t be home to cook all day.
One of our favorite slow cooker recipes comes from third-generation pit master Adrian Davila. This Barbecue master has his hands full managing his family’s restaurant, Davila’s BBQ, writing a cookbook and competing on Food Network’s new show “BBQ Blitz.” His busy schedule is probably what prompted him to develop a slow cooker recipe for pulled pork. Check out how easy this is to make:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- One 3- to 4-pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- One 12-ounce can spiced soda, such as Dr. Pepper
- 1 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
- 12 sandwich buns
Special equipment: a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Rub the oil completely over the pork and season with the salt, pepper and cayenne. Brown the pork shoulder in the skillet on all sides; this will take about 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and allow to cool slightly before rubbing with the mustard, then coating with the brown sugar.
Place the pork in a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, then add the soda and liquid smoke. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. When it is done, the pork will feel extremely tender when prodded.
Remove the pork from the slow cooker, then shred the meat using 2 forks and pull off the bone. Mix the meat with any remaining cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Serve with sandwich buns and toppings of your choice.
Looking for more slow cooker inspiration? Here are several excellent recipes to check out.
- 27 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- One Pot Dinners from The Food Network
- Healthy Crock Pot Recipes and Tips from Eating Well
- Taste of Home’s list of 23 healthy slow cooker recipes.
- 73 Best Slow Cooker Recipes from Skinny Ms
Break out your crock pot and try some of these slow cooker recipes today! You will love the ease of getting in and out of the kitchen fast with a healthy meal on the table!Share this post: